Costs of an Oklahoma DUI
IT’S A SIMPLE DUI, WHAT’S THE BIG DEAL?
Hidden costs of a DUI
We must remember that any oppression,
any injustice, any hatred,
is a wedge designed to attack our civilization.
FRANKLIN D. ROOSEVELT
Being arrested for driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs (DUI) or being in actual physical control (APC) of a vehicle while under the influence of alcohol or drugs in Oklahoma can intensely impact your life and the lives of those around you who you love and care about. Jail time, loss of your driver’s license, unbearable automobile insurance premiums, loss of your job, eviction from housing, and bad credit ratings are but a few of the problems that can result from a DUI.
Just because the officers took your driver’s license, your world has changed. Following are a few of the many things you may no longer do although you have NOT been convicted of any crime or EVEN appeared in court:
- Cash a check
- Open a bank account
- Buy car insurance
- Rent a car
- Rent a hotel room
- Enter a federal building
- Board an airplane
- Obtain certain jobs
Have you had a friend, co-worker, or even worse, an attorney, tell you a DUI is no big deal? Heaven forbid that they say you may be able to save money and just plea it yourself, “the worst that will happen is you will go to DUI School and pay a fine.”
STOP—BE CAREFUL! Even in a small municipal court there are many hidden costs. Following is a list of potential costs associated with a DUI:
- Up to 20 years in prison
- $5000 fine
- Mandatory community service up to 480 hours (2 months of work hours)
- Minimum 10 days of inpatient treatment and not less than one year of supervision with periodic testing at your expense (in the tens of thousands of dollars)
- Electronic monitoring for you and/or your car
- You may be fired from your present job
- Your credit rating may be downgraded
- Many insurance policies will not allow you to drive a company vehicle with a conviction — your boss will have no choice –you will be fired
- Loss of your driver’s license for up to 3 years plus an additional 5 years of having an ignition interlock installed on any vehicle you drive (MUST APPEAL THIS WITHIN 15 DAYS OR IT IS TOO LATE)
- Lifetime loss of a Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) (15 DAYS to appeal)
- Lifetime inability to obtain a Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) (15 DAYS to appeal)
- Loss of a Pilot’s License (15 DAYS to appeal and various other reporting requirements )
- Loss of right to vote
- A crime to own a gun
- Your auto insurance can increase by thousands of $$$ each year for years to come
- You may be prevented from entering foreign countries including Canada
- You may be evicted from many rental units and others may refuse to allow you to move in
- Many future jobs may be closed to you due to a conviction
- Life insurance policies may be up rated, canceled, or new coverage denied.
These are only the most common hidden costs of a DUI. Your record will be under scrutiny for years to come and there easily can be other negative issues caused by a conviction.
The point we are stressing is that there is no such thing as a “Simple DUI”. The costs are extreme and you may continue to pay for years to come.